Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My boyfriend and I just got our puppy a little over a week…

Customer Question
My boyfriend and I just...
My boyfriend and I just got our puppy a little over a week ago. About two days after we got her she started experiencing diarrhea and it hasn’t stopped. We haven’t changed her food from the shelter and we have tried mixing her food half with bland, white rice and it hasn’t helped. We also made sure we aren’t over feeding her, as well. Is this her getting used to a new enironment or should we be concerned?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian

Hello! As a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you!

Unfortunately, diarrhea in puppies can be very serious and I do highly recommend Gunner see a veterinarian. Diarrhea can be due to some very dangerous conditions, including Parvovirus, which is an often fatal virus that causes diarrhea in puppies. Even if he does not have Parvovirus, any cause of diarrhea can cause puppies to dehydrate to dangerous levels and also affects their ability to absorb the nutrients that are vital to their health and development. I strongly recommend Gunner be taken to a veterinarian. I also recommend you call the clinic you choose ahead of getting there so they are prepared for you. They may make recommendations for your arrival as parvo is very contagious to other dogs at the clinic. (they may ask you to stay in the car for a quick test before coming in)

Thank you for your question. If you have any additional questions please feel free to respond. Once you are happy with my answer, please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Best, ***** *****

Well, as far as I know she has been vaccinated for Parvo. She is about 4 months old. I suppose I should have mentioned that her stool is not completely liquid, it has a defined shape, but it’s just looser than I feel it should be. She also doesn’t act like she is sick. She still has an appetite and loves to play.

Great! These are both good things. That said, soft stool is still not normal so I do recommend she see a vet. If you feel she is doing well otherwise and there are no vets open near you over the weekend, then I would recommend monitoring to make sure her signs do not get worse, and call your vet first thing Monday morning. I would make sure she continues to drink water. Has she been dewormed? Intestinal parasites are a common cause of such signs in puppies. I would therefore also recommend bringing a stool sample with you (preferably 12 hours fresh or newer). I would bring this with you even if she has been dewormed as they can still sometimes have worms and need additional dewormings.

Hi Madison,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gunner. How is everything going?

Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian