Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 week old puppies cannot walk properly. They tremble…

Customer Question
My 6 week old...

My 6 week old puppies cannot walk properly. They tremble when they walk, and seems like they can't control their legs. They were fine two weeks ago. But they are like this lately and I don't know what to do. Please help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No, I don't see any wounds or any sign of injuries.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?

I have 5 puppies. Only 3 of them are like this. And thier names are***** and Willy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Parker?

No thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Which breed are they?

When 3 out of 5 are so affected, congenital (present at birth) defects - metabolic/neuromuscular, an infectious etiology (Neospora?), or exposure to the same toxin need to be considered.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure the disease wasn't present at their birth. They were fine 2 weeks ago as I mentioned before. I don't know which breed they are, the mother is a local dog. And what should I do to cure them?

The disorder may have been present at birth but not clinically apparent. For example, hydrocephalus might not become symptomatic for a few a weeks after birth. Regretfully, we can't know how to cure them until the cause is clarified and that can take a thorough physical and neurologic exam including advanced diagnostics such as cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis and MRI. Your vet is likely to refer you to a specialist vetrerinary neurologist who is best equipped to perform this testing. ($$$$).

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

according to the information I gave you, what disease do you think they're suffering from?

A congenital birth defect affecting their central nervous system - brain and/or spinal cord - would top my differential diagnosis list.

They're usually kept at their house because we don't have a big compound and we're afraid that vehicles might injure them. Plus our house and surroundings doesn't get sunlight properly during the winter, so it's usually cold and damp. Perhaps they don't get enough sunlight?

That would be an unlikely cause of a neurogenic or musculoskeletal disorder.

Is there any home remedy to at least relieve it?
Like massages, acupunctures,etc?

I don't believe so but massaging them couldn't be harmful. I regret that I have no way of knowing if acupuncture would be of value.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian