Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a swollen face and hard mass in left cheek and…

Customer Question
My dog has a swollen...
My dog has a swollen face and hard mass in left cheek and throat! What could this be
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I would be happy to help

How long has this been going on for?

Can you send me a picture?

Was he recently outside?

Where do you live? Is it still warm there?

How old is the dog?

Paul

She is about 5 years old! I’ll go get a picture! She has been outside lately

Thanks

Standing by

Paul

Just sent the pictures

just got rhem

Give me a minute :)

Wow- that is a lot of swelling

I think this is likely an insect/spider bite

Are there scorpions where you live?

No scorpions! I was thinking maybe a bug bite too! Do you think she will be ok in a day or so

I am worried that the swelling will go to the tissues on the inside of her throat

This would make it very hard for her to breath and could be very serious

Is there an ER nearby

She should be given a steroid injection and perhaps epinephrine under the skin

They should also dispense oral steroids for a few days to make sure it doesnt come back

Sorry that I have to recommend this

Paul

What do you suggest?

You should take her to the emergency clinic- sorry if I didnt make that clear above

Okay

Please update me after the visit

Paul

Okay

Please update me after the visit

Paul

Hi

Did you get my last two posts?

This system is really lousy tonight!

Good morning!

How is our patient?

Paul

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

A reminder to please rate me- That is how I get paid

Paul