Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our small dog ate some fancy bakery cake that is very high…

Customer Question
Hi our small dog ate...
Hi our small dog ate some fancy bakery cake that is very high in fat we're worried about pancreantitus and don't know if we should have her vomit. She's had other incidents with eating high fat food in the past and our vet said it could be cumulative
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

For your information she is 9 lbs

Hello, again Scott,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I always think this is a catch 22 type of situation, the chances of a bout of pancreatitis resulting would be very low in my expereince, but inducing vomiting is not without it's risks in terms of inhalational pneumonia and this could be a slightly higher risk in smaller dogs. On balance I think if this was my dog then even with her previous history I would just sit things out and see it goes, the chances are she will be just fine.

2. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

What makes the odds low? She ate about 1/2 of a 6 inch round, 4 inch high fondant covered cake? Just curious about what makes the odds low in general and what we should be concerned about when it comes to pancreantitus.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Well, in my experience pancreatitis does not trigger as day follows night each time a dog swallows a high-fat foodstuff, most dogs will get away with this as an isolated incident even with a previous history of pancreatitis. While there can be no guarantees your dog would be very unlucky if pancreatitis does occur following today's incident.

2. The initial symptoms of pancreatitis could include serial vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite and general signs of abdominal pain.

3. You could still induce vomiting as a precaution though if you are more comfortable with this approach, there are risks to this procedure, but very minor risks. For the sake of speed I will give you a link to an accurate article which covers how to do this best: LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the fancy bakery cake issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Everything seems to be fine today, took her for a long walk today and she seems 100% normal. Thanks for following up.

Brilliant! Thanks so much for the update, I was wondering how things were going ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian