Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

10y/o dog on new medication. Straining to have a bowel

Customer Question
10y/o dog on new medication...
10y/o dog on new medication. Straining to have a bowel movement but can’t go. His abdomen is soft and he doesn’t seem to be in pain. He has eaten today and no vomiting. Glycerine suppository?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Ok. Thanks

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Duke is uncomfortable, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I am not sure I would want to go down the glycerine suppository route. However, if he is constipated as he appears to be then you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a dog of your one's size would be in the region of 6 ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product.

{ Until you can pick up the mineral oil you can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil at the same dose rate }

2. On a home remedy basis one of the other things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try two tablespoons twice a day for an average sized Lab.

3. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, or perhaps giving bones, this form will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment. In your case what you are seeing could be related to the new medication, so if symptoms continue I know you will talk this over with the prescribing vet.

4. But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or other serious diseases, this, of course, is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason, if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

6. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Duke's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

He is wanting to go out every 5 min or so and tries to have BM but can’t. He is urinating. Is the vegetable oil something that can be done now that would relieve this?? This is my parents dog so i am on the phone with them trying to help
Is there anything that could help tonight? The new medicine he is on is called previcox 227
My parents are in their 70s and kind of anxious. He is also getting fish oil now. The dog not my parents.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Certainly, the vegetable or olive oil approach is something which you can do right now, and if it does not help then it will be very unlikely to do any harm.

2. Sometimes what you are seeing can be related to Previcox. The fish oil is not likely to be causing this sort of problem.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

The site does allow phone calls, if you want I will be glad to call your parents.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Duke is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his straining ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Erika,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Duke. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian