Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 11 yo purebred Tri coloured Sheltland sheepdog, he…

Customer Question
Dear Doctor I have...

Dear Doctor I have a 11 yo purebred Tri coloured Sheltland sheepdog, he is having problems standing from a laying position & suffering from pain in his left leg. Can you give a Dog Kratom for pain? I've heard of this powder, but don't know anything about it. What would you advise? Thank-you, Paul

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Shetland Sheepdog. What is the Shetland Sheepdog's name and age?

The Dog's name is "Boo" and he's 11 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about "?

No , thats all that comes to mind, he eats well & gets enough play time a day & night.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I could find no scholarly studies concerning the use of Kratom in dogs. I did find one site (http://kratomguides.com/kratom-for-pain-relief-in-pets-good-or-bad/) that purports value of its use. You'll find the following stated:

"A research conducted on Kratom for pain relief in pets showed an amazing result, Out of 66 dogs that were treated with Kratom for pain relief, 62 dog owners reported noticing the beneficial effects of Kratom on their dogs.

They actually saw the improvement in their dog’s pain. The dogs that had accidents were given Kratom and they were seen walking around with faster recovery, on the other hand, other pain medication made them sleep all day."

Please note that there's no reference to this research and so we have no idea if it was performed correctly of results properly assessed and you would be using a product with unknown properties in dogs. There's no information concerning toxicity levels with either one-time or chronic administration. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian