Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She accidentally ate 200mg of Advil. She is about 60 lbs.

Customer Question
She accidentally ate 200mg...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Chevy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chevy?

She eats EVERTHING

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that she ingested 200mgs of Advil (ibuprofen).

From the ASPCA database:

◾25-125mg per kg of body weight – symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, stomach ulcers;

◾more than 175mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus blood in the stools, acute kidney failure;

◾more than 400mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus seizures, coma, disorientation;

◾more than 600mg per kg of body weight – death.

At 60 pounds she is 27.27kgs (2.2 pounds per kilogram) so a toxic dose of ibuprofen would be 681 mgs.(27.27kgs X 25mg/kg = 681mgs)

Given the amount she ate I don't think you need to do anything as far as inducing vomiting, or worry about true toxicity. You might see mild gastrointestinal upset if she is especially sensitive, but that should be it.

This holds true IF she is NOT taking any drugs that contain a steroid (prednisone, dexamethasone, Temeril-P) or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (Meloxicam, Carprofen or Deramaxx). If she is taking any of those drugs let me know as that would change my recommendations.

At home now to try and decrease acid production in her stomach and lessen any possible symptoms you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours (two 10mg tabs for her every 12 hours)

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours ( one 20mg tab for her every 24 hours)

These are acid reducers that are found over the counter at the drug store. They can be given as needed.

If her stomach seems at all upset to decrease the symptoms you can feed her a bland diet for the next several days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get in plenty of fluids. Feed small meals frequently.

Things to watch for that mean trouble include vomiting, especially blood tinged, dark, black or tarry stools, or frank blood in the stools, lack of an appetite, increased water consumption and urination.

But I don't think you will see those given her weight and the amount she ate.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****