Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog can barely wag it's tail after playing outside its…

Customer Question
My dog can barely wag...
My dog can barely wag it's tail after playing outside its sore to touch He's 5 and his name is*****: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Joby?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Joby isn't wagging his tail and is showing signs of pain when you attempt to touch it after heavy play outside today.

I suspect that your fellow may be suffering from tail head myositis. This occurs from overuse of the tail, usually after swimming, or playing and socializing more then usual.

It is a painful inflammation of the muscles at the tops of the tail which make the whole tail limp and a dog that is reluctant to move their tail. Sometimes, especially in short haired dogs we can even see swelling at the tail base.

Given some time, rest and anti-inflammatories he will feel much better and his tail should regain its normal happy wag.

If he is eating and drinking normally and has no history of bleeding tendencies or a sensitive stomach, and he is not taking any nonsteroidal pain medications (rimadyl, vetprofen, metacam, ect) you can give him buffered aspirin at home for a couple days.

The only over the counter anti-inflammatory that can be used in dogs is buffered, enteric coated aspirin (like ascriptin). Aspirin does cause stomach and intestinal irritation and ulceration as well as clotting problems so should not be given for more than 2 to 3 days consecutively and should always be given with a meal. If you choose to use it watch for lack of appetite, vomiting, blood in the stools or dark tarry stools and stop immediately if you see those. Do not use aspirin if your dog has liver or kidney disease or a history of a sensitive stomach or clotting problems.

The dose for aspirin is 5mg to 10mg per pound of body weight orally every 12 hours (about one half of a 325mg aspirin for a 25 to 35 pound dog every 12 hours). Always give with a meal. Do not use for more than 2 or 3 days.

Other causes of a limp tail are usually traumatic (tail pull injury, hit by a car in the pelvis), disc disease, or a mass placing pressure in the spinal nerves that innervate his tail. But with no history of trauma, and an abrupt change after heavy playing like he has tail head myositis is most likely.

Another possible cause of pain near the tail is full, impacted or infected anal glands. These scent glands are found just inside the rectum and when they are abnormal and uncomfortable the inflammation can spread up to the tailhead area. If he seems to be scooting his bottom on the ground or licking his perianal area it is worth having his anal glands checked by his veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian