Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 60lb female boxer ingested a small amount of Urea foot…

Customer Question
My 60lb female boxer...

My 60lb female boxer ingested a small amount of Urea foot cream. I am a vet tech with axcess

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Wrangler, 4 y/o

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Wrangler?

4

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. How long ago did Wrangler eat the urea foot cream?
  2. How much do you believe she ingested (15 grams, 30 grams)?
  3. How is she behaving now?
  4. Any long term health issues?
  5. Is she currently taking any medications?
  6. Does she tend to have a sensitive stomach?
Timing is unknown, best guess is the last 3 hours. Less then 10 grams of the urea, and less then 10 of the fluocinonide ointment. She has no concering medical HX and eats abnormal things regularly. The package on both was in tact and her behavior is normal
Are you still here?

Urea is a gastrointestinal irritant. Ingestion can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Depending upon how sensitive she is and the concentration of this particular product (there are some that are 15%, and others that are 40%) you may see no, or very mild symptoms or lots of vomiting and loose stools.

Of course the other issue with most of these products is they are high in oils and lubricants, and that alone can lead to diarrhea.

Given the high oil content I never recommend inducing vomiting, the risk of aspiration is too high.

So we need to treat her for possible stomach upset and to avoid diarrhea.

I was not aware she ate Fluocinonide Ointment too?

The tech did not let me finish talking before younwere requested, im less worried about the steriod

That is a steroid based ointment, which could also cause gastrointestinal irritation.

It is a potent steroid and could cause gastrointestinal ulcers, suppress the immune system, increase water consumption and fluid retention, and may lead to adrenal gland suppression.

Ointments quickly melt in the gastrointestinal tract and are rapidly absorbed. DO NOT induce vomiting.

For now lets treat her for any possible stomach upset and keep an eye on her for severe lethargy/weakness or vomiting.

To try and settle her stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help relieve simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. Either one should be given for several days.

I would not feed her any food for 12 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make gut irritation worse.

If she has a tense painful abdomen, vomits repeatedly, has bloody diarrhea, becomes very lethargic, or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.

But if she feels better after her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, plain pumpkin) to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon and will help counter act that oil. I recommend adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac to her meals daily to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels too.

If she feels fine in 48 hours start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.

If your pup is vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian as anything you give orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sorry about the offer of a phone call. That is an automatic, site generated offer that many licensed veterinarians are unable to offer. Many states/province licensing boards do not allow veterinarians to communicate via phone calls, unless they have previously physically examined a pet. The states and Province I am licensed in have that restriction. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like you can reply and ask any follow-up questions regarding my response and I will be happy to respond to them here.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****