Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy was born 9-20-17 He is a yorkie terrier his shots…

Customer Question
My puppy was born 9-20-17...
My puppy was born 9-20-17 He is a yorkie terrier his shots are up to date but I just found his poop a little runny with blood and I'm concerned
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. Is your puppy eating normally and playful?
  2. Any vomiting?
  3. Any change in diet?
  4. Is he current on his vaccines?
  5. Has he been rested for gastrointestinal parasites and is he on a worming schedule?
He's acting normal he's been on Caesar puppy food for two weeks now switched from Purina puppy food when I adopted him he's been treated for hookworm and tapeworm but they didn't prescribe anything and I think they caused him an ear infection because he's crying and itching at his ears a lot

I am very sorry to hear about your fellow's loose stools with a little blood.

Of course anyone would be concerned about blood in the stool. The fresher the blood appears the closer the source is to his rectum, so in his case it sounds like it is from the proximal colon (closer to the small intestine).

The important factor in all of this is how your boy feels otherwise. If he feels great then that is a good sign.

From his records it looks like he is current on his vaccines, and has been wormed several times with good, broad spectrum wormers. There are some protozoa however that are still possibly an issue (coccidia for example.

I am glad he is feeling fine otherwise. I don't think that the ear infection has anything to do with his stools.

There is a condition in dogs called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. These dogs have profuse dark, jelly-clot like, bloody diarrhea. They are very sick dogs and get dehydrated quickly so they need immediate care. Thus if he seems lethargic and/or begins vomiting an emergency veterinary visit is best.

But colitis or inflammation of the large intestine, can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, a viral (Parvo virus) or bacterial infection, eating things they should not, or even a food allergy.

A raw, irritated colon can take a few days to heal. Do you know if he got into anything that may have started all of this?

If he is feeling fine otherwise then with supportive treatment the bleeding should clear completely with treatment over the next 2 to 3 days. If not he should be checked by his regular veterinarian. Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently, parasites are the most common cause of loose and/or bloody stools in otherwise fine feeling puppies, and they may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first is negative.

If he still feels well now though we can try some things at home.

If his appetite is off and his stomach is gurgling he may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with his bloody stools.

To try and settle his stomach today you can give Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

This will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. Pepcid can be used for several days if need be. You can skip this step entirely if his appetite remains normal.

I would not feed him any food for 6-8 hours. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with bloody stools. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make his colon irritation worse.

Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 teaspoon per 5 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. This will coat his irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

After his food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1/2 of a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just plain cooked pumpkin) to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon. I recommend adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac to his meals daily to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels too.

Once he feels better (no bloody diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.

If your pup is vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that he see a veterinarian now as anything you give him orally will just come back up worsening his dehydration.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.

I do encourage you to have him examined and his ears checked on Monday even if he seems to feel better.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian