Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What happens or could happen if a puppy just ate some cat…

Customer Question
What happens or could...

What happens or could happen if a puppy just ate some cat litter.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?

Chiann 10wk old german shepard

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

Female. My best friends new love.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Depending on the amount ingested this is a potential foreign body obstruction. You should consider having your veterinarian x-ray her stomach to ensure this will pass without incident and ease worry about this possibility. I would be hesitant to induce vomiting on one so young as this can result in some of the litter particles being aspirated or going into the lungs so best to see if this will pass by doing an x-ray and if there is only a small amount then increased bulk as I have listed below in her diet for 24 hours...

- Feed 2 pieces of bread

- Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes. This can be around the yard since she is so young

- In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the litter to hopefully push it through

- Monitor for signs of the litter coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

- Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

- Bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken with water to increase lubrication to help aid in the litter passing

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own but again I would advise an x-ray to ensure this is the best method for Chiann today

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am going to be exiting for a while to see appointments but will monitor for any further questions or concerns

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian