Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is going around in circles. Squeezing between weird

Customer Question
He is going around...

He is going around in circles. Squeezing between weird places. Getting stuck in corners

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

I’m am afraid if I take him to the vet. They will tell me it’s time to let him go

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

I do not know.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

He has cancer. And has been out of it for awhile.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

But pass 2 Days has been bad.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I understand your reticence in having him attended to by his vet because his circling, moving into strange places and becoming entrapped in corners are all signs of encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving the forebrain (cerebrum and thalamus). Brain disorders can have an intracranial (within the skull) etiology such as brain tumor or an extracranial (outside the skull) etiology such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys. A cancer can involve both the brain and areas outside the brain. It's possible that his vet can identify an extracranial etiology that might be addressed in a conservative manner but I must admit that your dog's prognosis is very guarded at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hello there?

Can you see my post timestamped 9:38 AM (my time) above your "Hello there?"? If not, let me know and I'll copy and paste it for you.

My dog hasn’t slept the whole night.
And his heart has been beating quite fast since yesterday evening.

His brain is overexcited which has resulted in his aimless pacing and change in mentation (mental status). He'll need to be heavily sedated lest he exhaust himself. His vet will need to perform a complete physical and neurologic exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests to see how your dog might be helped. An MRI might be necessary but inappropriate if he's elderly and currently dying of cancer. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

thank you.
He is given 6mths to 1yr more to live.
One last question for now.
I would like to fatten him up. As he lost a lot of weight abt 2mths ago when he lost appetite. I feed him smoothies now. Bone broth chicken breast broccoli and salmon once a week. Dairy is out because of lactose tolerance. What other food can I feed him to fatten him up? I have also stopped working. Hoping it’s not to late. So I will be able to feed him 3 times instead of twice a day.

I don't consider any food out of bounds for such a patient. I would feed anything he wants and as much of it as he wants. Keep in mind that he's likely to be suffering from a cancer cachexia; in other words, wasting because of that disease and it can be nigh impossible to put the weight back on these patients. You can continue feeding smoothies and feed them more frequently. You can feed the ultra-rich prescription diet Hill's a/d designed for convalescing patients. Meat is calorically dense and so beef (richer than chicken), chicken, pork, or fish given as often as you'd like are good foods for him. Dairy isn't out because you can find lactose-free dairy products.