Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I did not notice if my dog was in beat but a day ir after my…

Customer Question
I did not notice...

I did not notice if my dog was in beat but a day ir after my male dog passed i noticed bleeding not sure if she could have mated with him....they slept in there kennel together and were always together.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

No not lethargy, i am wondering if she could be pregnant

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She has slight swelling in her mammary glands

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Did not notice if my dog was in heat before my male dog passed away a day before I noticed the bleeding now she has slight swelling in her mammory Glands, could she be pregnant?
12/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Ok
No
Could my dog be pregnant I did not notice if she had been in heat but I did notice after my male dog had passed away one day later she had bled a little bit and that her private part was swollen

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely your gal is not pregnant. If she is bleeding now, this means that she is in the proestrus period of the cycle which is when she is not receptive to the male. The Estrus period is 10 days after Proestrus which is when she will be receptive to your male. If I understand you correctly, the male has just recently passed away (I am so sorry for your loss!) so if she is bleeding , this is not when she would be pregnant. There are, of course, variables and things you may have not noticed about your female which they may have bred.....it is common when the female comes into heat that she will have an enlarged vulva and bleeding during the proestrus period....

It is best to have your vet check her to be sure within 25 to 30 days with Ultrasound or xrays.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Did not notice if she was bleeding before but she's out of heat now and she really hasn't blood that much honestly so it's been about 3 weeks since the mail has passed and she's not swollen or anything anymore so I'm not sure if she was in heat before he passed away and is didn't notice it until after he passed away

It is hard to know for sure since there is no way to determine what part of the cycle she was in....since it has been 3 weeks since the male passed, anything could have happened.....chances are good that she may well be pregnant....only way to know for sure is xray, ultrasound or just wait and see.....

wish I could help more....:-((