Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog chewed up a 5 mcg terazosin pill that my husband

Customer Question
My dog chewed up...

My dog chewed up a 5 mcg terazosin pill that my husband dropped. We got it away from hom but don’t know how much he may have swallowed. He’s 60 pounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Spike. English bulldog. This was about an hour and a half ago and he’s acting normally.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No. He’s very healthy.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, it is not likely for 5mg of Terazosin to be toxic or life-threatening in a 60 lbs dog, even less likely if he did not swallow the entire pill. As a precaution I would keep an eye on him; symptoms to look for that would require a vet visit are lethargy, difficulty breathing, pale gums, etc. Again, I don't believe you will be seeing any symptoms.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Hi Laurie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
He is fine.

Great!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian