Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She has a ver, sorry bout that.. she has a hard time walking…

Customer Question
She has a ver ...

She has a ver

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Sorry bout that..

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She has a hard time walking and she drinks alot of water hard time laying down than i see she has a enlarged nipple like the whole thing is swollen and hot to the touch sickly?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Shelby i am thinking around 7yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Shelby?

Im thinking 7 yrs not sure

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shelby?

I thought she got into a bag of chicken bones and maybe thats what it might be

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I need to ask some additional questions please.

1. Is she spayed? If she is not spayed, when was her last heat?

2. How long has she had the mammary swelling?

3. How is her appetite?

4. When did she eat the chicken bones?

no not spaded had this since yesterday morning no food just drinks water will take food if its like a piece of meat or something but wont go to her dish, no appetite im thinking she got them the night before last , We found a piece of bone in her stool yesterday

Thank you.

There are many things that can cause what you are seeing. I can recommend some over the counter treatments but ultimately she may have to see a vet to figure out the cause, or causes, of her illness.

It sounds like she mammary gland is infected. That is called "mastitis." She will need a course of antibiotics to treat it. You will have to get the antibiotics from the vet.

She could also have an infected uterus. That is very common in female dogs who are not spayed. It can cause nausea, drinking lots of water, and lethargy.

no not spayed, about a month ago maybe two months had swelling since yesterday morning she wont eat unless i take her a piece of our food wont go to her dish and eat drinks lots of water and im thinking she ate those bones night beforew last i think i seen a piece of bone in her stool last night hard to walk but her one nipple is swollen an hot to the touch
what can i do to help i have no money for a vet is there something i can help with

A vet would have to examine her and possible run blood work, take x-rays, or maybe do an ultrasound to see if she has a uterine infection. The treatment for a uterine infection is to have her spayed as well as antibiotic treatment.

The bones could be causing a gastrointestinal blockage or gastrointestinal infection.

Try applying at www.carecredit.com They provide financing for veterinary bills.

Call around and see if any of the local SPCA, PETA, Shelters, and Humane societies have low cost vet care. Where I live, the SPCAs and Animal control have low cost vet services.

To help settle her stomach try giving her human Pepcid AC. It comes in 10mg tablets.

Give 1/4 of a tablet for every 15 pounds of dog.

For example, a 30 pound dog would take 1/2 of a tablet every 12 hours.

Put her on a bland diet of plain cooked chicken and rice until she is feeling better. That is easier to digest than dog food.

Did my answer help? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the starts at the top of the page as that allows the website to give me credit for my work. This is how I support my family : )

Many Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby

How is Shelby doing?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian