Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is an almost 3 years old terrier mix. All the sudden this…

Customer Question
Hi. He is an...

Hi. He is an almost 3 years old terrier mix. All the sudden this evening he is lethargic, his little body is wobbly, his mouth is hanging open and he’s skidding when we try to pet him. I’m not sure what is going on. Please help!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

His name is Roy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roy?

He is still eating and drinking

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share video of what you're seeing?

It just says compressing video but then it never loads

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Without seeing a video, are you able to think of anything that would warrant the symptoms written?

Unfortunately, nothing that is very specific which is why a video may be more helpful. We can witness these symptoms with seizures, GI disturbances, discomfort in the back, pain in the abdomen, etc. His eating and drinking may not cross a GI problem off of the list. How much does he weigh? Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Literally he was fine for an hour after I️ got home, we went outside for a few minutes, came back in, he was playing with my other dog while i picked up the house. I sat down, he jumped up with me and i noticed his head start to wobble back and fourth. For the last hour I’ve tried taking him outside, playing with him, i put out a little bowl with milk to see if he’d drink it which he did but he just keeps wobbling then laying down.
He is about 15 lbs
No diet change, no human food, no trash or torn toys

The wobbling is certainly concerning and if it persists or worsens he does need an examination overnight. Any luck with the video? Is there any chance he might have come in contact with human medication or toxins in the home? Any flea prevention applied within the last day or so?

Be cautious with the milk. While he may consume it it's apt to cause diarrhea, as well, and may cause vomiting also.

No flea meds, i don’t have medication here anywhere except my boyfriend smokes weed. Lame i know but he does and that’s the only “medicinal” thing that is here.No more milk for him then. Just wanted to see if he’d even go for it.He’s trying to upload the video for me.

Is there any potential Roy might have consumed any weed or derivative? Any exposure to smoke? This could certainly cause wobbling, if so, as well as the lethargy, hanging mouth and skittish behavior.

No, he smokes outside or in the garage but he keeps his stuff in my room. That is exactly how Roy is acting!! Crap! Should i take him to the vets office tonight?

Since we don't know what is causing this, I think it would be wise. If you choose not to go, I'd watch him very closely for advancements in his symptoms and certainly head to the ER tonight if the symptoms progress. If you watch overnight and he's not improved by morning, I would see your regular vet. If this happens to be due to some unexpected ingestion of weed (or inhalation), a small amount may be enough to cause symptoms without being toxic. Typically dogs who are exposed don't come in contact with enough to be life-threatening.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing today?