Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am fostering a littler of puppies and the mom. Pups are 18…

Customer Question
Hello, I am fostering a littler...
I am fostering a littler of puppies and the mom. Pups are 18 days old. One was diagnosed with kennel cough yesterday. I took her, mom and the other pups to the vet yesterday. Mom and sick pup were put on antibiotics (clavamox). They’ve had 3 doses so far. Pup was nursing fine until late this afternoon. Since then not much. I don’t see any nasal discharge but worried she can’t breathe well enough to nurse. Can I wait until morning to take her back to the vet?
Thank you!
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good morning, Kathy. I am sorry to hear that your fosters aren't well. Kennel cough is rampant this time of year.

When was the pup's last meal?

Are you supplementally feeding her?

I took her to the ER. She is not well. Based on what vet said she may have a congenital issuevwith her heart on top of kennel cough. She won’t nurse or even feed from bottle. I have been using a little dropper to give her formula, but it’s not looking good. I will be taking her in again this morning to regular vet. I hope she makes it. Poor thing.

Keep me posted on your progress and let me know if you need additional support in your efforts.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian