Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is very sick :( He ate a toy, causing him to throw up…

Customer Question
He is very sick...

He is very sick :(

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He ate a toy, causing him to throw up plastic and part of the plush. We took him to the vet this morning and she gave him an exam + X-ray and said that everything was fine. She gave us several different medicines to give him, however, he continues to throw up

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Huck. 9 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Huck?

I don’t think so. Are you a person or a robot?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Your dog needs to be taken to the ER right now...when there is consumption of a toy with persistent vomiting that is telling us that your dog either has a partial or complete obstruction.....

I am standing by for questions.....

The vet did an X-ray and said that there was not

This is a serious medical emergency and if you wait then this could put your dog at risk of dying from an obstruction....

Your vet is either wrong or your dog may not have been obstructed at the time...

If a patient eats a toy and continues to vomit there is at the very least a partial obstruction.....

You are risking your pet's life if you do not go to the ER....

Ok, he has not thrown up in over an hour and is sleeping now.

I would still go to ER.....with all that vomiting your dog should be place don IV fluids......and monitored. Should not have been sent home....

can you tell me any other signs or symptoms? He threw the toy up this morning

Persistent vomiting after foreign body ingestion is direct evidence for the need for IV fluids, sequential xrays with possible barium study or exploratory sx if vomiting continues...... your dog has something else in his/her gut....

We were given sucralfate, metronidazole and Cerenia. Can you tell me if any of these will help?

No drugs will help with a foreign body in the gut....

all foreign material must be removed first if there is persistent vomiting....

Ok, so what would put his life at risk? Dehydration?

Dehydration important yes but actually least of your worries.....With partial or complete obstruction the gut gets backed up and there is pressure on the intestinal tract and the intestines start to die, then bacteria leaks out and causes sepsis and death.........

I get the feeling you don't believe what I am telling you so I will opt out and allow another expert to assist you with this.... best of luck...

I do believe you. My husband is just asking questions also
My husband wants me to further explain, also

do you still want help?

My husband said that I did not explain everything correctly and wants me to explain the details

ok, go ahead....

I would suggest we do a phone call.....

are you getting phone call prompts?

but I cannot talk on the phone at the moment. So, we took him to the vet and the vet did all of the exams and X-rays. He was completely back to normal- running, playing & wagging his tail. We took him home and gave him one of the medications and got in the car (we were trying to leave for an out of town wedding today) he threw up in the car so we called the vet. She said that the car ride could have upset his stomach. And that’s when she gave us medicine for nausea. We went back & got the medicine and decided to leave tomorrow. So we got home & fed him the prescribed wet dog food that the vet gave us. He ate the food very quickly and almost immediately threw up. We called the vet back and she said that eating so much so fast on an empty stomach could have caused him to throw up. He has not thrown up since

What is his attitude like? And how long ago did he last throw up?

does you dog normally get car sick?

He last threw up at at around 5:30, maybe earlier. He does not normally get car sick- but I thought after the initial medicine on an empty stomach (vet said it is very bitter and dogs often gag or refuse to take it) + I was car sick...bad traffic and a lot of stop and go

did you give the cerenia yet?

if so, what time?

His attitude is normal for the most part. He wanted to be RIGHT next to me after he threw up earlier, but he is usually extremely cuddly. He is sleeping in his favorite spot right now (first nap of the day- he usually sleeps a lot) and is dreaming bc I can see his little legs and arms twitching.

ok, so it has been 3.5 hours since he last threw up? And what time did you give cerenia?

I gave him the Cerenia at 6:30. The vet said to give him that and wait one hour and give him a little food and then the sucralfate then wait 2 hours and give the metron

that is correct dosing interval....

It is 8:00 pm where I am. So it has been about 2.5 hours since he last threw up

as long as there is no more vomiting then you may be in the clear...but if you see anymore vomiting you should defintely go to the ER because with cerenia there should be no more vomiting unless there is a major problem...

dogs that have persistent obstruction will vomit even with cerenia....

Ok, thank you very much! Would you recommend feeding/not feeding and what about water? I don’t want to promote vomiting if it would be best to wait on food/large amounts of water for right now
How long should he be on Cerenia?

so cerenia should be working by now....I would offer like 2 tablespoons of food and see if he keeps that down.....if he does you can give 2 more tablespoons in another 2 hours. Give meds as directed.....cerenia should only be needed for 72 hours at most for this type of case....

Great, thank you! We may need to get some more Cerenia tomorrow if still necessary because she only gave us enough for 2 days. Does it cause drowsiness?

In some dogs it can cause drowsiness......

Also, should I wake him up now to eat? Or let him sleep and then offer food + other medicine when he wakes up? That may be a stupid question...but I imagine he is exhausted and sleeping would help

2 days may be enough of the cerenia.....let him sleep and feed as soon as he wakes up....

also offer very small amounts of water frequently...

Also, if there was an obstruction- would he vomit in his sleep? Would his stomach hurt if he were held/picked up? Would he be exhibiting any other signs?
Ok, is ice ok in place of small amounts of water? He loves ice as if it is a treat
Also, should I wake him up or check on him throughout the night if he is sleeping? He sleeps in a kennel

If he has an obstruction that progresses he will not sleep because pain is unbearable....vomiting main sign of obstruction in early stages....

ice is great....

just check on him during the night but don't wake up....

Ok, thank you very much!!

can I answer any other questions for you?

he is adorable.......

Can I help you any further?

Thank you. No, I don’t think so! I appreciate the help

of course, I check my computer every night so if you have more questions let me know. Sincerely, DRB

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Is it ok for him to be around/play with another dog

hi. sorry I was working with another client....I would not allow him to play for 48 hours......because it could cause him to vomit and then you don't know what is going on...

would you mind rating me please? Otherwise I do not get any compensation for my work....rating me will not close your question and this question will stay open for several days....so feel free to come back and ask more questions. I check my computer nightly. Thank you very much, DRB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian