Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Soft stool diarrhea often no diet change had on Barron

Customer Question
diarrhea me probotics an...
Soft stool diarrhea often no diet change had on Barron diarrhea me probotics an careafate got better. Now back again caught him eating on dirt an green acorns before don't know now he stays in most time about 10 years old an is 3 kinds bulldog an jackrussel mixed never been sick still eating an drinking good.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has he had diarrhea?

2- Any vomiting?

3- What medications is he currently on?

4- Any other symptoms?

No other symptoms no vomiting no diet change never gets sick been on Bactrim an probotics an careafate an diarrhea me about 3 was ago for about week got better then has it again lived here over 5 years he has always had form stool it is light brown thin in color. Usually darker an formed

To make sure I got this right, he was put on Bactrim, probiotics and Carafate for diarrhea. He got better but now the diarrhea is back and he is still on these medications, correct?

No done finished Bactrim .Can I give cefalexin 500mg an his diarrhea me he might got completely well. Just want know if The antibiotic I have now cefalexin 500 is OK give about 65lbs one or twice day no vomiting eating an drinking good.
See bad internet I said off Bactrim antibiotics might not got all way well just wanted know if I can give Cefalexin 500mg one or twice day along with careafate an diarrhea me?

Friend, I would not give him Cefalexin at this point, it may make the diarrhea worse. You see, antibiotics kill the good bacteria in the intestinal tract and this will cause diarrhea. Instead, this is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1 tablespoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Continue on the Probiotic.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him rechecked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian