Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our cowboy corgi has a lump under the skin on her ribs -

Customer Question
Our cowboy corgi has...

Our cowboy corgi has a lump under the skin on her ribs - lower down as they curl under to the belly. it doesn't seem to pain her and moves around when you push on it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Cutter she is 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cutter?

She has been spayed & recently has been on a diet- she was at the top of her suggested weight at her checkup / shots earlier this year

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has she had it?

2- How big is it?

Friend, the lump that you are describing sounds like a benign type lump; possible causes are a cyst, a fatty tumor, etc. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact type of lump, I am sorry. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter