Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have an English bulldog and I feel that his shedding due…

Customer Question
I have an English...

I have an English bulldog and I feel that his shedding due to allergies. I say that it is allergies because of the sneezing and watery eyes, however, the sneezing and watery eyes are not all the time. He has a great appetite and is energetic. He is on a grain free diet. I just started him on a skin and coat OTC supplement. Should I try an OTC allergy medication?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 6 years old and at our last vet visit, he was at 65 pounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bruce?

Nothing else except that he is primarily an inside dog. I have noticed that his symptoms become worse after he has been outside for most of the day.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Allergies to foods and things in the environment are very common in his breed. Normally dogs do not present with respiratory signs, such as nasal drainage or sneezing, due to allergies. But anything is possible.

In dogs the allergens go on the skin, and then through the skin, to cause an allergic reaction.

Wiping his feet down with a wet wash cloth, or sensitive skin baby wipes, after he comes inside is a good idea.

Trying an over the counter antihistamine may help as well.

To answer your question, try benadryl. Use the human adult strength.

Give 1 mg of benadryl, per each pound of dog every 12 hours.

For example, a 50 pound dog would take 50 mg of benadryl every 12 hours.

Give the benadryl every 8-12 hours as needed.

Fish oil, or a skin supplement, or a food with extra omega-3 fatty acids can help reduce skin inflammation and reduce any itching. It is going to take a couple of weeks to see if your supplement works.

I hope that helps.

Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian