Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has developed cherry eye. Has has it off and on for a…

She has developed cherry...

She has developed cherry eye. Has has it off and on for a few months now. Normally just her left eye. I would usually be able to make the membrane go back in with a warm rag and light massaging of the area...NOW both eyes are effected and the membranes will no longer go back in.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She is a 5yr old cocker spaniel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Her eyes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Madison 5yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Madison?

5

I am trying to figure out the potential cost of her surgery for both eyes using the "pocket technique" which would be the most beneficial option I'm assuming?
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/14/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you are interested in learning more about potential costs of the Morgan (i.e. pocket) technique used to correct the cherry eye syndrome. I can answer this question for you. There are other surgical methods such as suturing the gland due the lining of the bone (i.e. the periosteum), but the Morgan technique is a regularly used procedure with excellent results.

from the research I have done, I found the Morgan technique to be the most effective procedure with less of a chance of a reoccurance but also the most costly. However, id rather have the more costly procedure so that she no longer has to continue to suffer with this. Now, I am just trying to find a price range on what this procedure will run money wise.

This procedure ranges from $800-1200 depending on the location. That is the price for a general practice. Specialty hospitals and ophthalmologists will charge nearly $2000-2400.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
You have done very well to answer all of my questions. I thank you very much. You have definitely earned your 5 star rating, which shall reflect very shortly.
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian