Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have been finding small noodle like segments which move in…

Customer Question
I have been finding...

I have been finding small noodle like segments which move in my maltese/yorkie water dish, I suspect it is some sort of parasite?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Sammie age 10years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sammie?

I have noticed at times she seems to be attempting to get hair or something out of her mouth, she almost acts like she has something in the mouth she cannot get out, its strange. She has not been ill or any other symptoms

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Sammie. This is interesting. What may help a lot here is being able to see what you're seeing. Is there any chance you can take a picture of what you're seeing and post it here? Is her water bowl inside? Has she been losing weight?

I am at work so unable to take a photo...yes the small white, almost transparent little things are in her water bowl after she eats the moist dog food, they are approx., 1/2 inch long and look a bit like very small straight noodles. I have noticed this since I started feeding her the Beniful Medlies canned dog food and at first thought maybe this was something naturally contained in the food but noticed one moving this morning.
As far as I know, there has been no weight loss, I have noticed an increased food and water intake. I thought worms or parasites were excreted via stool not orally....I think it's weird

You are very correct in that worms / parasites are passed almost exclusively through their stools and not orally. When they are passed with stools, they are typically as microscopic eggs that can't even be seen. It is not very common at all for any adult worms / worm segments to be passed. Sometimes they can vomit up some, but they almost always are round worms that look like pieces of spaghetti. I would be curious that what you may be seeing is some of the components of the food that is falling out of her mouth after eating and in the water bowl. Rice and other small grain like pieces of food can get into water and they can look similar to parasites. Could the motion you saw be not real?

If you get a chance to post a picture, that would be great.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian