Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's got bad breath and a loose tooth. Her name is May. And…

She's got bad breath...

She's got bad breath and a loose tooth.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is***** she is 8 yrs old. We recently adopted her from an older couple.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about May?

Not that I am aware of at this time. Thank you!!

12/14/2017
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Sara. What kind of dog is May? How long have you had her and does she have any swelling associated with the loose tooth? Where is this tooth located?

May is a doxidoodle/doxipoo. We have had her for about one week now. There is some slight swelling I think. The tooth is a smaller one located near the back.

Cute, the likelihood, is that she probably needs to have her teeth cleaned and MAYBE that tooth extracted. The majority of dogs have some early dental disease by the time they are 3 years old. When you are ready to have things looked at, there are some things you want to ask. You want to make sure they do pre-anesthetic blood work, and what type of cleaning and extraction methods they use. When we do extractions, we make sure the patient has appropriate pain medication and nerve blocks when we extract teeth. It is also important to make sure that they suture the gingiva back together once the tooth has been extracted. Most small animal hospitals are well equipped in their dental procedures but you want to be sure. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions or concerns. Have a good night.

Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian