Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 15+ male pittbull has a large tumor in his chest/stomach…

Customer Question
My 15+ male pittbull...

My 15+ male pittbull has a large tumor in his chest/stomach area .i4 is rather large and is pushing against his lungs affecting his breathing considerably, his tummy is very swollen and hard I feed him only wet foods cooked real meat ,,and vitamins , small portions , of ten. He is losing weight fast and is very uncomfortable, is there anything I can give him hat might help shrink this tumor or relax him a bit? Due to his age surgery isan option

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pit?

Imeant to say surgery isn't wn option .we had xrays done and the tumor is so big it is pushing on all of his organs .He has nt much time left we just want him to be as comfortable as possible or at this point should we just let him go.? My friend s dog was poisoned with anti freeze and she took his

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Has your vet done any sort of testing of the tumor to know what type of cancer it is? Has a needle aspirate been performed?

Took his life wat home with insulin is this as painless and humane as she tells me. It was over in minutes no muss no fuss .no just xrays he took one look at my dog told me how much it would be $ for blood work, and urine tests I went to the bank and by the time I returned he had already done xrays.which answered the question of what was wrong
We Dont really know that much our dog is quite old so we didnt think surgery was an option. At this point hes lost so much weight so fast he doesnt look like a happy camper! We just want him to be as comfortable as possible

Without knowing the type of cell type that the tumor is, it is hard to say if there is anything that will help it to temporarily decrease in size. Some tumors will shrink a little if steroids are given, but I do not know if your dog is a good candidate for that. You would have to ask your vet if that is an option. Even if not, he may benefit form some form of pain medication if he is uncomfortable, but again, your vet, who knows his medical history would know that best.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian