Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has discharge from both ears that smells unpleasant…

Customer Question
My dog has discharge from...
My dog has discharge from both ears that smells unpleasant and of a brown colour
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Myrtle today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

It sound as if Myrtle may be dealing with an otitis externa which is another way of saying an external ear infection. These are very commonly seen in dogs and need to be evaluated by your vet to see how severe the inflammation is and to have the discharge examined to decide on the proper medication. An otoscopic exam of the ear canals is necessary to evaluate the integrity of the ear drum as well. If the ear drum is ruptured, there may be infection in the middle ear as well. I would urge you to make an appointment for Myrtle with your veterinarian as soon as you can. Here is a link with more information LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Hi Andrew,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Myrtle. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian