Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She got into chocolate yesterday-during the night she threw…

Customer Question
She got into chocolate...

She got into chocolate yesterday-during the night she threw up 3 times-twice with her dinner then once just heavy liquid black

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Her nose is back to being cold and wet and she seems to be feeling better, she is a 6 year old, 10 pound mix of chi wawa and dachsound (sp).

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dachshund eat anything unusual?

Yes, it made ames in three places

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dachshund's name?

She got a box of cookies from the tal and opened the box, tore off the wrapping and ate 5 cookies-three were chocolate

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dachshund?

Her name is ***** ***** is a mix of chiwawa and dachshund (miniature) short hair-

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Give me a few minutes to review your case and type my response.

Chocolate usually causes GI upset (vomiting and diarrhea) in dogs. If she is eating well and seems perky, she probably doesn't need follow up treatment at the vet today, if not, I would recommend taking him in for further evaluation and treatment. Otherwise, you can try these things at home:

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't doing the job. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian