Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is on her heat and has a ball hanging out of her this

happens on all her heats...
my dog is on her heat and has a ball hanging out of her this happens on all her heats and there has been #4 so far what is this????
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: my dog is having her #4th heat and again has a ball that's hanging out this happens every heat then it goes away after her heat is over
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she doesn't act like she in pain its just that ball hanging out what is that
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: sasha and she is three and afew months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?
Customer: no
12/14/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Is this somehting you would be able to upload a picture of? If you click on the paperclip icon normally you'll have the option to attach a picture.

Does she lick the area or not really pay attention to it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she licks it but not all the time
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you able to give me a answer and I would rather type

Yes the site automatically offers a phone call but we can just continue the chat-

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please stop asking me to call I thought you were going too help is this a scam I will call my card service immediately now can you answer the question

My apologies, the offer is not initiated by me.

I have a thought for what it could be, though seeing it in person is usually most helpful - but it sounds like it would fit with what is called vaginal hyperplasia, it is related to the hormone changes that happen when the dog is in heat, and usually it resolves as the hormone levels go down.

Having the dog spayed removes the hormones where it will not recur, if she is not spayed she will probably continue to have this come up every time she goes into heat. As she gets older there is increased risk of uterine infections if not spayed.

More info on vaginal hyperplasia/prolapse here: http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-diseases-conditions-a-z/vaginal-hyperplasia-dogs

I'll see if I can find a picture that might fit with what I think you are describing-

It is really variable how severely a dog will be affected for the amount of swelling or tissue exposed, does it look like any of these images? https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+vaginal+hyperplasia&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-uZaxjorYAhVSGt8KHUQYBPgQ_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=794

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is exactly how it looks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it will not be possible for her too have children

Ok perfect.

So this is generally not anything life threatening, bu it can potentially be uncomfortable for the dog, more often related to urinating. If a large amount of tissue is exposed, it can get dried out or infected.

Spaying is the only thing that will keep it from coming back, but yes if she is spayed she cannot have puppies then.

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you very much and goodbye

You're very welcome - if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask-

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian