Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our sheltie is 11 weeks old and eating her poop, how can we…

Customer Question
Our sheltie is 11...

Our sheltie is 11 weeks old and eating her poop, how can we stop it??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?

Not that we are aware off

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Has Bella had her stool checked for intetinal parasites? Intestinal parasites can be a really common reason for thi behavior to occur. If she has not had her stool checked than i would recommend having your regular veterinarian do a fecal float test to make sure there are no parasites internally.

Also unfortunately, this can be a normal behavior for dogs, but there is a supplment called Copraban that was made to help stop this issue. It involves giving a capsule by mouth to your dog with meals for at least a week.

Here is a link where you can purchase this product or your regular veterinarian may carry it as well.

https://www.amazon.com/20-Piece-CoproBan-Anti-Coprophagia-Roast-Flavor/dp/B00377B7BO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513272581&sr=8-1&keywords=copraban​

Most of the time coprophagy is a behavior displayed by young dogs and they grow out of it.​

If the Coproban does not work then your best bet is prevention.

This takes extra time and work, and the use of a flashlight or headlamp once the sun goes down. It is convenient and easy to let the dogs into the back yard on their own, but if you really want to stop this behavior you will need to leash walk or accompany them outside. That way you can pick up any poop immediately and dispose of it. This can be a bit of a nuisance to get up earlier and accompany the dogs on all their potty outings, particularly when it’s below zero, but any inconvenience is far outweighed by the reduced health risks and the perk of no longer having to deal with poop breath!

Getting the dogs on a consistent twice daily meal feeding schedule allows for better timing of bodily functions. They’re usually like clockwork. Teaching your dogs the command ‘leave it’ is also invaluable for this, and many other situations. It is a command worth spending some extra time to learn.

‘Leave it’ comes in handy not only for poop, but any number of other items you don’t want your dog to pick up, such as dead animals, a pill you dropped, toxic foods and toys. As you are going through training, keep small – thumbnail - size treats in your pocket at all times, so you can consistently reward good behavior. Lots and lots and lots of positive reinforcement and praise for obeying is critical.

Good luck with Bella.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian