Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Molly ate 2 pills meant for a dog that is twice her size. A…

Customer Question
Molly ate 2 pills...

Molly ate 2 pills meant for a dog that is twice her size. A pain pill and an antibiotic. Will it hurt her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Molly

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?

She is 4 years old

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. What was the name of the medications that Molly ate? What does Molly weigh?

Hi, are you still there?

Molly weighs 16 lb, She took quelin 100mg? tablet841 and 1/2 of a cephalexin cap 500mg/Ea 841xin

I am going to look up, hold on a minute.

Alright, so the concern for renal(kidney) damage starts at 50mg/kg. This would be about 363mg and she ate 100mg. I would still recommend being on the safe side and getting her some fluids and activated charcoal to help absorb the medication. Are you able to get her to the vet today? How long ago did she eat the pills?

The antibiotic is not a concern.

about an hour. We have human
Dr. appts today, no time for the vet

Alright, that may have moved out of her stomach today. Lets a least do an antacid today and try to get her to the vet tomorrow. It will be too late for the charcoal but they can administer fluids. What do you have at home.... pepcid, omeprazole..?

We have omeprozole for people

Hi, sorry had to take an x-ray of a kitty. You can give her half of a 20mg omeprazole. Or a whole tablet it they are 10mg. You can repeat this tonight.

hi, are you still there?

Let me know if I can help further

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian