Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Crusty area below eye - very sensitive. Crusty area below…

Customer Question
Crusty area below eye...

Crusty area below eye - very sensitive

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Crusty area below eye - very sensitive

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

When trying to clear crusty "stuff" a reddish area was sore and he jumped when I touched it

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

9 years January - Diego

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Diego is a Shih Tzu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diego?

We lost his liter mate a couple months ago & he is very depressed - (as am I) Thought it might me ring worm or something

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Diego today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Does the eye itself look red or irritated or is there any discharge from the eye?

No red eye
But its itchy & he scratched it with paws/nails

Crusts on the skin can be caused by various things and ringworm in only one of them. Other causes include bacterial or yeast infections, moist dermatitis due to inflammation alone or even mange mites. Actually, a combination of these can occur at the same time in some cases. Unfortunately, one cannot tell the difference by visual inspection alone. There are specific tests that can be performed on the affected skin to identify the cause. These would include a skin cytology to evaluate the surface cells microscopically, a skin scraping to look for mites and a ringworm culture.

I would suggest that you have Diego examined by your vet and have the appropriate testing performed.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian