Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog developed a limp overnight and he now has a rash on…

Customer Question
My dog developed a limp...
My dog developed a limp overnight and he now has a rash on his belly in the creases of his back legs. I'm wondering if the limp could be a result of the rash and if there are some at home things I can try before going to the Vet.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. If the rash is bad enough and is rubbing a lot, it could be causing the limping. Impossible to say without a good exam, though. In most cases, you can safely used a triple antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin, on the wound to see if you can get it to heal. Alternating with a hydrocortisone ointment may help as well. You just have to be careful because some skin problems may get worse with hydrocortisone, especially certain skin mites and a bad infection). You can get some Hibicleans over the counter and clean the area daily as well. It helps better to leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dog is doing and to see if you have any other questions.