Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

68 lb, female greyhound, age 10: Twerked her front paw; it…

Customer Question
68 lb, female greyhound...

68 lb, female greyhound, age 10: Twerked her front paw; it grew better and in a week she was walking fine again without favoring it. However, on that first day (just yesterday) she tweaked it again (fast turns on a carpeted area). This morning she only struggles on three legs. Can I give her a 325 mg aspirin tablet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

You

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

I've seen her lick at the paw.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name?

Baby

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

If you have a human or canine narcotic at home please let me know and I’ll see if I can give you a dose for it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian