Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our male, 8 year old Morkie has a bloated abdomen and bones…

Customer Question
Our male, 8 year...

Our male, 8 year old Morkie has a bloated abdomen and bones protruding in hips and back.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Male 8 year old Morkie has bloated abdomen and protruding hip and back bones. vet say low protein level.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Not really any pain. unable to jump up on couch like before

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bailey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?

Black tar like stools

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bailey. If his bloated abdomen indicates an abdominal effusion (free fluid in the abdominal cavity) and hypoalbuminemia (a lack of the small protein albumin in the blood) has been identified, either his liver can't produce enough albumin or he's losing albumin through damaged kidneys or bowel. Albumin is needed to keep fluid inside vessels and out of spaces such as the abdominal cavity. Has testing been performed to evaluate his liver, kidneys, or bowels? Black tar like stools suggest bleeding into the GI tract but doesn't necessarily tell me that the primary problem lies in the GI tract. There are many metabolic disorders outsdie the GI tract that can affect the GI tract.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian