Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 month old puppy was just diagnosed with erlichia and I…

Customer Question
My 9 month old...

My 9 month old puppy was just diagnosed with erlichia and I am confused and heartbroken...do i need to prepare myself to lose this dog...I'm extremely attached to him in the short time i have had him...only 7 months now..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?

He seems normal but when i took him to the vet for a heartworm test they said he has erlichia

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the puppy's name?

Tanner

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tanner?

No he is healthy and happy other than that diagnosis. he is currently on doxycycline for the next month

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Does Tanner have a history of ticks?

Can you clarify how I can assist with your confusion over the diagnosis?

i got him as an 8 week old puppy...he was shipped from a farm in arkansas to california...when i took him to get tested for heartworms they said he came up positive for erlichiosis. I am confused on whether he will be okay after a month treatment of antibiotics or if this disease will creep up later and take his life. I realize no one has a crystal ball but there are different stages of the disease. It seems the first two stages can be treated and the third maybe not. I am trying to figure out if I caught it in time or if he will eventually have the possibility of death because of this or ailments. How do I know what stage he is in...I was just told it is positive. Can I assume he is in the 2 nd stage because we dont have those ticks here in cali so he propably was bit as a young pup under 8 weeks old.

Honestly, that will truly depend on him. For some dogs a single treatment with doxycycline before the animal is symptomatic is entirely effective. For others, ehrlichia remains a problem and your puppy may need additional courses of antibiotics, blood transfusions, etc. For the time being, I would not expect that this may be a life-threatening condition since this was caught early and treatment started before he was symptomatic. I would discuss titer testing him to be sure you have a value on hand for the condition and proof that it does exist (he's rather young for a diagnosis and false positives have been known to happen). This will be useful information both now and in the future in determining where his immune response sits. In the future, your vet may wish to recheck the titers to compare them to the values taken at the current time. The test that was run just says "yes or no" where titers actually tell us where on a wide spectrum the immune response sits. My anticipation given the information you've shared is that this was caught early enough that he should not require major medical care and, if he does, it will likely be years down the road with more signs along the way. I would most certainly reach out to the kennel in Arkansas about this concern. Ehrlichia is more rare in California but it is certainly very common in Arkansas. It's very likely he sustained a bite before his trip to your family.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing today?