Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dg has been breathing with his mouth open for about three…

Customer Question
My dg Bailey has...

My dg Bailey has been breathing with his mouth open for about three days. Also drinking much more water than usual, but it doesn't seems like he's drinking it as much as splashing it in his mouth. Also has a lot of foamy saliva in his bowl after drinking

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?

Seems to be worse at night

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Tried to eat his way through a wooden door a few weeks ago. He's cracked teeth doing something similar a few years ago. Checked his whole mouth and seems ok

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
His breath also has a metallicsmell to it
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How old is Bailey?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

How is his appetite?

When was bloodwork last performed?

Is he on any medication at this time?

What breed is he?

8, no no, bloodwork in April, mixbreed
No meds

Were any abnormalities noted on the bloodwork when it was performed?

No

It would be wise given the recent attempt to chew through a door and the increase in (attempted) water consumption to have an examination performed for him, recheck bloodwork and also a urinalysis. Typically with increased water consumption we worry about conditions like diabetes, kidney disease, urinary tract infection, etc. but the attempt at chewing through the door may be the reason he's not drinking as effectively as in the past. Your vet may want to run some dental x-rays or perform a thorough sedated oral examination to ensure that no fissures or slab fractures exist. For the time being, I would soften his food with warm water for good measure and you might also offer small ice cubes/snow cone ice he can swallow easily without it falling back out of his mouth.

Checking in. How is Bailey doing today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse