Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 17 year old Eskimo is on keppra. 3 times a day since last…

Customer Question
My 17 year old...

My 17 year old Eskimo is on keppra

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

3 times a day since last Sunday, we have been managing the side effects including vomit, diarrhea, she even got her 1st acupuncture therapy today, anti nausea injection and some antibiotics. We are also managing her kidney failure too and she's on quite a few meds. My question is there anyway we can tweak the timings of the keppra ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

So we can sleep early

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Percy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Percy?

Ivdd/kidney failure but her creatine levels are improving, blood pressure is good, 3 seizures last week. On keppra 3 times a day, takes blood pressure med, phos binder, protein

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you inquiring on whether or not the frequency can be changed or the time at which each dosage is given?

I wanted to know if there's any Lee way to the dosage times ? Right now we are doing 3 times a day with 8 hr intervals, but this is getting harder to manage with work and commitments.I'm also scared of leaving her home so currently me or my husband is with her all the time and we also sleep with her on the floor, but we want to find a more sustainable situation for giving her the meds.

You can rotate the dosages around a little bit to fit your schedule, if needed. The dosing recommendation is every 8 hours, typically. If your vet has her on an every 8 hour schedule, try to stick with this and move the dosage timings around if they better fit your schedule (example at 6am, 2pm and 10pm). Many owners will give a dosage before they leave for work, a dosage on lunch and then a dosage before bed. Try to adhere as closely to dosing every 8 hours as you can. If she needs to take one every 7 or 9 hours, for example, to better fit a schedule that is typically an acceptable solution. You may also wish to talk to your vet about trying her on a twice daily schedule using extended release tablets (Keppra XR).

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I just one a question, is it safe to leave her alone ? I'm a wedding photographer and it's impossible for me to take her on shoots, I'm currently looking for a sitter but haven't found reliable contacts.

Reach out to your vet's office to see if they can recommend anyone. Also try Care.com for local sitters near you.

She can be left alone. It will be nigh impossible to predict if or when she will have another seizure. It's impossible to keep them under someone's eye 24-7-365.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing today?

She had a great day today, we took her out and she enjoyed a long walk, she ate. She was very responsive too and seems to do well with Keppra, getting used to it. She's also on antibiotics as last week she started vomiting and had some loose stool.
But she whines and barks while digging in her bed at night
Want to send you a video of that

You can share a video.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse