Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am in the process of buying a Westie puppy 11 weeks old…

Customer Question
I am in the...

I am in the process of buying a Westie puppy 11 weeks old with a 0.2 cm overbite. Should I expect any problems from this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?

I just told you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?

It doesn't hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Jax

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jax?

No. He has been checked by the Vet before shipping the dog to me on Saturday. The Vet says he is fine except for the overbite.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Jax.

Since Jax is so young, it's quite possible that his dentition will turn out to be normal after he matures; it's equally possible that he'll have an overbite for the remainder of his life. I've seen both scenarios in the 30 years that I've been in practice.

If the overbite doesn't correct itself (which is usually by 10 months of age), then he may be predisposed to issues which I'll list below although most dogs function just fine with such a problem.

Periodontal disease may be more prevalent in these patients.

Soft tissues defects from tooth contact on the floor and the roof of the mouth

Possible wear on the teeth.

So, while I can't completely reassure you that there won't be any oral issues for Jax during his lifetime, the risk is not high that there will be.

I hope this helps, Deb

Will this effect the breeding potential for this dog in the future? His parents are both reported champions.

Most cases of malocclusion are thought to be inherited so it might affect his future breeding potential especially if it doesn't correct itself.

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian