Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13 lb dog ate 8 oz of slivered almonds while I was not…

Customer Question
My 13 lb dog...

My 13 lb dog ate 8 oz of slivered almonds while I was not home. Is this serious?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Wrigley, age 12, Lhasapoo

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Wrigley?

12 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wrigley?

No he is very healthy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Okay but I read that there was $5.00 deposit but then when I went to paypal it said $20. Which is it?

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Well, the good news is that almonds, slivered or otherwise are not toxic to dogs in any way. However, it is possible that Wrigley may suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea purely because of the ingestion of a larger amount of an unusual rich food source for dogs. This can happen when a dog eats larger amounts of almost anything! So for the moment, you will be taking very little risk in just observing Wrigley for now, however, I will give you a few ideas on how to handle things if a mild tummy upset should occur.er

2. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

3. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

4. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for smaller dogs such as yours.

5. Of course, if a bout of gastroenteritis does occur { It may well not } and any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he then deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Wrigley's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Just picked up on your query, unfortunately, my role here is just to answer veterinary related questions, I have no access to the site administration, but if you contact our customer care team I am sure they will sort things out for you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Wrigley is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the slivered almonds ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott