Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Small dog apparently tried to eat 257 purple and blue

Customer Question
Small dog apparently tried...

Small dog apparently tried to eat 257 purple and blue capsule. capsule still on floor with powder around it, but obviously bitten.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

None

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?

Belle 8 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Belle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Belle?

Latice

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

ok

That capsule contains 40 mg of ziprasidone which appears to be well-tolerated in dogs. In studies up to 9 mg/lb daily for 12 months only caused slight body weight changes. How much does Belle weigh, please? How is she currently acting?

10 lbs. lethargic, shivering can stand and walk tho slowly. will drink water
took her temp, about 101

40 mg/10 lbs is just 4 mg/lb and so according to the study, Belle should remain safe. Because she's already symptomatic inducing emesis isn't appropriate. She appears to be exhibiting one of the adverse effects of that drug in dogs - shivering/tremors. Other symptoms that can arise include high or low blood pressure and tachycardia (rapid heart rate). There's no specific antidote but there doesn't need to be one for Belle. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

ok, so the drug will wear off, how long should it take?

I could find no pharmacokinetic studies of that drug in dogs. It's not prescribed to dogs. Do your best to keep her warm and comfortable.

Ok, thanks. Happy holidays.

You're quite welcome. Back atcha. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dog is back to her old self. Thanks for the help.

Good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian