Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has pain in the shoulder area after jumping off bed on to…

Customer Question
He has pain...

He has pain in the shoulder area after jumping off bed on to hardwood floors. What can I give him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Tony - 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tony?

Healthy, about 68 lbs, good humor, able to walk about but I know shoulder is hurting

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes not

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Tony has this problem, hopefully, this is something minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Soft tissue injuries such as minor shoulder strains or muscle pulls are very common in the dog and the symptoms can present just as you describe. Thankfully many such injuries will resolve with a couple of days of complete rest and then a gradual return to exercise combined with an anti-inflammatory drug of some kind.

2. As far as over the counter " human " anti-inflammatory drugs go you do have one option, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Ibuprofen or Paracetamol. Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without a problem because it will normally only be used for a few days so any side effects would be very unlikely. But avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

3. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications: LINK

4. Of course, if things do not quickly start to improve or you become further concerned then you should have your vet check your dog over things over. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Tony's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Tony is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his shoulder pain ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...