Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has had a lump between his shoulder blades for about…

Customer Question
My dog has had...

My dog has had a harder lump between his shoulder blades for about a year. Tonight, it started to excret. When I squeezed it a bit a large amount, over a tablespoon amount of what looks like an infection just kept coming out. The diameter of the excretion was about the size of a worm. I did this about 5 times and just keep getting this “infected “ substance out... he is not uncomfortable but obviously I am concerned. I have sprayed the area with tenactin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He is 151/2 years old bichin mix. The vet just checked the lump last week and thought it was unusual but just something to watch. I also have photos of some of the material he excreted

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Infection as would be consistent with an abscess is unlikely over a period of a year. I suspect that an epidermoid cyst ruptured and you're seeing the sebaceous (oily) exudate that fills such a cyst. I'd like to see the photos, please. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

That exudate is consistent with an epidermoid cyst. Once they rupture secondary infection is common and so the cyst should be thoroughly evacuated which you may have done already and then lavaged with over the counter chlorhexidine solution such as Hibiclens found in your local drug store. It might quiet down after your ministrations but is likely to fill with that exudate once again unless the cyst wall is completely removed. That would entail a surgery, however, which I know you'd like to avoid at her advanced age. Regretfully, there isn't any other manner to prevent refilling. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you, ***** ***** we would need to go to our vet tomorrow to make sure they get it all out (I was afraid that would entail surgery) but I knew that was a risk last week. He actually is healthy and the vet said he is due for cleaning so he should be able to do both while he was under. Thank you for your help tonight - I just had never seen anything like that!

You're quite welcome. Curiously, I had a small one on my neck that needed to be cut out. In people, some of these have a cancerous component; not so, in dogs! Yes, take advantage of the anesthetic needed for teeth cleaning. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I will - thank you again and have a great night!

I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?