Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog got into some diesel fuel today. He just vomited two…

Customer Question
My dog got into...

My dog got into some diesel fuel today. He just vomited two large piles of fuel which smelled of diesel fuel. He is acting fine other than the throwing up. What should I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No. They only eat FROM for food and he is an 80 pound dog that can eat ;large quantities of food at one sitting

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Sylar

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sylar?

No just the diesel fuel

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Ingesting diesel fuel can lead to severe GI upset. Also the more he vomits, the more concerned I get about a secondary aspiration pneumonia because the diesel fuel can cause some nervous system depression. I would recommend taking him in to the vet tonight for treatment and supportive care, that would be the best thing. If you cannot get him to see the vet tonight, I would start him on Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) tonight to decrease the stomach acid, offer boiled chicken and white rice to help settle his stomach, and get him to the vet first thing in the morning.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katherine Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian