Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I drank k some cocoa earlier and left the cup out and didn't…

Customer Question
I drank k some...

I drank k some cocoa earlier and left the cup out and didn't think about it and I'm not sure but she may have licked the bottom of the cup clean.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

She's 2 years old and around 22 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Her name is Barley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barley?

No, she's pretty normal and healthy.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Cool. Thank you.
Cocoa mix was Swiss Miss milk chocolate and we put in some Nestle toll house cocoa for baking (the baking cocoa is what I'm worried about since it has been chunky on the bottom of my cup and now I look at my cup and it looks less chunky.... You know?)
If I am watching her are there any warning signs? She seems fine, but I bet she's ingested this in the past 20 minutes

Thanks for the info, busy typing out your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Barley very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her, she should be just fine. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to ingest quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But lets talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Barley's weight as being in the region of 20 lb then you can see that she would have to swallow around 14 ozs { Close one pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly, the amount of chocolate in licking the cup clean is going to be very minimal indeed, so no question of toxicity.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear, but this would be so unlikely in your case.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Barley's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

While it is true that other forms of chocolate can be more toxic than milk chocolate, I would very much doubt if this is going to be a factor in Barley's case today.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you.I worry she maybe ate what might be 2 teaspoons or so of baking cocoa powder.From what I've read that is the worst.
Is it reasonable to want to induce vomiting in my pet? Or should I watch her for a few hours and see how she acts. (I will be going to bed in a few hours so I'm terrified she will take a turn while I'm asleep or something.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Judging from what you have told me so far I doubt if there will be any problem, but if you want to be 100% sure then inducing vomiting would be a reasonable precaution. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK even if a larger amount of more toxic chocolate was swallowed. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

2. But I will be about in any case ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Just checking back in to see how things are going ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Barley is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cocoa issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott