Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is nursing puppies that are about a week and a half old…

Customer Question
She is nursing puppies...

She is nursing puppies that are about a week and a half old .this morning i noticed she had a slight cold so i gave her .5 of penicillian. also gave her half of a mucinex. now she is shaking badly but is still moving okey. drinks and eats okey. she is about 4 to 5 pounds chi and dotsen mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the puppy's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?

No she is in great health and an inside dog feed pedigree puppy chow

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very sorry to hear about your girl Bella.

Pregnancy and feeding a litter of pups is tough for a small dog, and they may be overstressing her body. Some dogs develop hypocalcemia (low blood calcium) due to the demands of producing milk for a litter of puppies. These dogs will have panting, restlessness, drooling, vomiting, tremors/shaking, weakness, may have a change in personality due to the effects of low blood calcium on the brain as well as stiffness in their gait. It can progress to seizures and if not treated, death.

If this is what is going on with her this is a true medical emergency and she needs to be seen by a veterinarian immediately. They will check her blood calcium levels and start intravenous calcium immediately. If this is her diagnosis the puppies will need to be bottle fed and weaned now, she cannot feed them any more or she will become hypocalcemic again.

Other possibilities are an infection, either mastitis or a post-whelping uterine infection.

I recommend that you check her mammary chain and look for any signs of redness, firm swelling or pain. If those are present then mastitis is possible.

Does she have any yellow, or foul smelling vaginal discharge? If so a post-whelping uterine infection is possible.

Treatment of an infection can be antibiotics, but as sick as she is she may need to be on intravenous fluids and injectable antibiotics and in many cases the pups will need to be weaned.

Whatever is going on with your girl she does not sound normal, and the conditions I listed above are not conditions that can be treated at home, she needs emergency veterinary care. Whatever you try to give her orally won't be enough to replace what she needs and may cause her to vomit which will cause dehydration.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your girl and her pups. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian