Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm pretty sure my Dalmatian has a umbilical hernia. She's…

Customer Question
I'm pretty sure my...

I'm pretty sure my Dalmatian has a umbilical hernia. She's one year and 5 months old. There's a small lump above where her belly button is. Also she's been less active than normal, which at first I thought it was mainly from the cold weather. She puked when she woke up today and on occasion when she'll be laying in bed with me I'll find a wet spot in the location of her private parts. She's also had accidents in my room lately too. I feel like it could be many things, but she keeps twitching her eyes at me while she she keeps her eyelids low. I feel like thats a signal for pain. She has a vet appointment tomorrow to get a better diagnosis but I'm worried if there's a life threatening problem here.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She eats Purina one smart blend, chicken and rice. She's been on that for awhile now. She doesn't seem to have a problem going to the bathroom when I let her out. And she's not fixed.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help a bit with your concerns today.

I do not think there is anything life threatening going on. More than likely your baby has picked up some type of infection, which is pretty common in a young dog. Her immune system is still maturing, & even with vaccinations, there are still things out there that can make a pet sick. Her umbilical hernia is not the cause of this, & should never cause her any problems. If you plan on spaying her in the future, then it can be addressed at this time.

The most important thing is to keep your appointment tomorrow. Hopefully it will only be a rather simple bacterial infection & a round of antibiotics will have her feeling better soon.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know. And, if anything comes up tomorrow after your visit, make sure you update me.

Thank you.

Hello, I am here if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian