Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 8 yrs old chow mix, he has lost a lot of weight.

Customer Question
I have a 8...

I have a 8 yrs old chow mix, he has lost a lot of weight. Our house was flooded from hurricane Harvey and we haven't been living there. My son stays at the house with our dog. But we thought he is greeting myself not being there. Now he looks week and just lays around. I've gave him a antibiotic shot three days in a row along with liquid iron b12 and pedilite. Avil for pain. But now he has a lite brown urine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Scooby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scooby?

He eating

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Scooby. I first need to know how much Advil you've been giving him and what he weighs, please. Ibuprofen is toxic to dogs.

Two pills. We only done that once. And he weighs 40#
He was weighing 60#
Are you there

Thank you. 400 mg/60 lbs = 6.7 mg/lb. That shouldn't be dangerous as it usually takes doses higher than 11 mg/lb to cause GI problems. His brown urine indicates either digested blood or methemoglobinuria - an abnormal form of hemoglobin which is being excreted through his kidneys. Yes, I'm here. I'll continue typing now...

Since I've been doing the penicillin shots he's wagging his tail at us.

Methemoglobin is a nonfuctional form of hemoglobin and so its presence may cause cyanosis (lack of oxygen to his tissues) or signs of anemia. Causes of methemoglobin include benzocaine and acetaminophen administration. Were either administered to Scooby?

No

Thank you. Brown urine can also be seen when excess bile or myoglobin (an iron and oxygen-binding protein found in muscle) is present. Your care has been reasonable but his profound weight loss and brown urine indicate something more serious than can be treated with penicillin and supplements. His vet will want to perform a complete physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests on Scooby. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I gave him 2cc once day for three days of bactracillin G benzathine 300000 units per ml.

If Scooby suffers from a penicillin-susceptible bacterial infection, that product dosed as you've dosed should be helpful. Leptospirosis is such an infection but there's little else that we prescribe penicillin for nowadays. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

My God father was his vet. He just passed a way five months ago. And I don't have any money to spare. Is their anything more I can do to help him. I love my dog. He's part of our family and the place we're stay at won't allow dogs. We're trying to get back in our home.

If Scooby suffers from a penicillin-susceptible bacterial infection, that product dosed as you've dosed should be helpful. Leptospirosis is such an infection but there's little else that we prescribe penicillin for nowadays.

I understand your financial constraints but without knowing what you're treating, I can't add anything more to your current therapy. You can continue the penicillin injections for two weeks which might address leptospirosis satisfactorily.

Thank you and God bless you. Wish luck and pray for Scooby.

You're quite welcome. I'll think good thoughts for Scooby. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian