Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My big mixed-breed pal has a strong ammonia odor to his

Customer Question
Hi! My big mixed-breed...

Hi! My big mixed-breed pal has a strong ammonia odor to his breath.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Pup is his name, and he's a rescue approximately six years old. He's a full-blast mutt, likely lab, pit bull, and boxer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pup?

He's on a limited-ingredient food. Some grain allergies.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Ammonia concentrates in the blood when a poorly functioning liver can't remove ammonia from the body. It also arises when urea splitting bacteria are present in the urinary tract. One molecule of urea is split into two molecules of ammonia. Is Pup otherwise well?

Please ignore "Ammonia is one of the ketone bodies along with acetone which form in poorly regulated diabetics. Are there other indications of diabetes mellitus - increased thirst, volume of urine, and appetite?" This isn't true and I'm unable to edit those sentences away. The rest of the post is correct.