Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8-year old Doberman has a small growth on its leg. It’s…

My 8-year old Doberman...

My 8-year old Doberman has a small growth on its leg. It’s sort of looks like a Keratin growth, but I’m not 100% sure, as I’ve never seen one in person before. I am not sure at what point I should stop treating at home and take him to see a vet in person to have it removed?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Bandit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bandit?

He is an anxious licker - so if the lump is not bandaged, he will lick it until it bleeds.

12/13/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this growth to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Ok
0D3CE0C7-4652-4BA4-A616...jpeg0D3CE0...jpeg2E7F7384-E4B9-4964-8F09...jpeg2E7F73...jpegA045BD14-84FC-4021-A299...jpegA045BD...jpegBAC2C620-4621-48C9-8C84...jpegBAC2C6...jpeg

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

This appears to be a cutaneous corn - a circumscribed, conical or cylindrical mass of keratin that may orginate from underlying actinic keratosis, squamous cell carcinoma, papilloma, a dilated pore, or infundibular keratinizing acanthoma. The treatment of choice is complete surgical excision. Although cutaneous horns themselves are benign, the prognosis is variable depending on the underlying cause and so Bandit's vet may elect to biopsy the underlying tissue following excision of the corn. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Should I be concerned if his vet cannot get him in for a visit this week? Is there anything I should be doing for Bandit at home in the meantime?

No, a week's wait isn't problematic. Because Bandit is annoying the area I would keep it bandaged. Topical creams aren't indicated but you can provide analgesia with aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian