Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was running at the dog park like usual, however,

Customer Question
after 20 minutes of running...
My dog was running at the dog park like usual, however, after 20 minutes of running, he stopped and now he whines if i touch his hind legs. he is 11 months old and now won't eat or run around he wants to lay down and looks like he is in pain. this happened 12 hours ago. what do i do?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I need to ask a few additional questions please.

1. What is his breed and weight?

2. Is he able to walk?

3. Is he limping?

4. Is he getting worse, better, or staying the same?

5. Will he eat a treat or is he totally refusing to eat anything? Is he drinking?

I rescued him I believe he is a vizsla mix. He might be around 30 pounds he can walk he limps a little but not too bad he’s staying the same as he was last night when’s it happened and he will eat treats. He is barely drinking

Thank you.

The only over the counter dogs can take is aspirin. However, it has to be given with a meal. If he is not eating it can cause gastrointestinal upset and that would not be good.

It sound like he is in pain and needs to see a vet today.

He may have inured his back, hips, or knees.

The vet can prescribe muscle relaxers and pain medication that is more effective and less likely to cause gastrointestinal upset.

If you can get him to eat a meal, you could try 150 mg of aspirin every 12 hour for pain and inflammation.

See if he will eat something bland like plain cooked chicken or plain cooked ground beef mixed with white rice.

A heating pad over his lower back, for 20 minutes, can help a bit too if he has muscle spasms.

To help keep his blood sugar up, if he is refusing to eat, rub karo syrup or honey on his gums every few hours.

If his gums feel dry to the touch, he is probably dehydrated. Use a syringe or eye dropper to give him childrens pedialyte drink. That works better than water for hydration. Give him about a spoonful an hour until his gums are moist.

How does that plan sound? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby